Are you looking for a way to enhance your smile? Porcelain veneers may be just what you’re looking for. These thin porcelain shells are custom-made to fit over your teeth, giving you a stronger, brighter, more uniform smile before you know it.
We’re here to help you explore everything you need to know about porcelain veneers, from their pros and cons to the procedure and expected costs. That way, you can make an informed decision.
What are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin shells of porcelain bonded to the front surface of your teeth. They are custom-made to fit your teeth, creating a natural-looking, uniform appearance. Porcelain veneers can address various dental issues, including:
- Discoloured or stained teeth
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Misshapen teeth
- Gaps between teeth
- Slightly crooked teeth
If teeth are more severely damaged, other treatment options like dental crowns or bridges may be required since they cover all sides of the tooth and offer more protection.
What are the Benefits of Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers offer many benefits, including:
- A natural-looking appearance — Porcelain veneers are designed to mimic the look of natural teeth, making them virtually indistinguishable from your real teeth.
- Durability — Porcelain veneers are durable to withstand normal wear and tear, making them a long-lasting solution.
- Stain resistance — Unlike composite veneers, porcelain veneers resist staining from coffee, tea and other common culprits of tooth discolouration.
- Quick and easy procedure — Getting porcelain veneers is relatively quick and painless, with most procedures taking only two to three appointments.
Drawbacks of Porcelain Veneers
While you will certainly reap the rewards of porcelain veneers, there are some drawbacks to consider:
- Cost — Porcelain veneers can be expensive, with costs ranging from $1200 to $2000 per tooth, according to the Australian national dental fee survey on porcelain veneers cost for 2017. While this may sound like a lot at first, once you learn the comprehensive process and the expected result, you will understand why the treatment is worth it.
- Irreversible procedure — Once you have porcelain veneers, you cannot remove them since a small amount of enamel must be extracted from your teeth to make room for the veneers. Therefore, it’s a permanent dental solution you should consider for the long term.
- Maintenance — While porcelain veneers are durable, they still require maintenance. You’ll need to brush (we recommend a soft toothbrush) and floss regularly to maintain good oral hygiene and avoid biting down on hard or sticky or very hot or cold foods for a week after to prevent damaging your veneers. You may also experience increased sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures for a couple of days after getting porcelain veneers.
What’s Involved in a Porcelain Veneer Procedure
Getting porcelain veneers typically involves three appointments:
- Initial consultation
During your first appointment, your dentist will examine your teeth to confirm whether or not porcelain veneers are the right solution for you. If so, they will create a treatment plan. At No Gaps Dental, our dentist will complete a diagnostic x-ray to check if your teeth have healthy roots.
If you have root issues, a root planing treatment may be required to remove bacteria-laden plaque. If there are prevalent signs of gum disease, this will have to be treated, whether improving your brushing techniques at home to restore your gum health or periodontal surgery for more severe gum disease. Take note that both options will incur extra costs.
- Architectural phase
At your second appointment, your dentist will create a wax design made from plaster models of your teeth. This plaster model will help your dentist prepare your existing teeth to achieve the desired outcome for your provisional and final porcelain veneers. Provisional veneers allow you to try out your veneers before committing to the final ones, so you can speak up if you have any reservations.
Note that our dentists will remove a small amount of enamel from your teeth to make room for the final porcelain veneers.
Your dentist will bond the veneers to your teeth at your final appointment using a special adhesive. They will then make any necessary minor adjustments to ensure a comfortable fit.
We highly recommend visiting your dentist for regular checkups and cleanings. After all, if properly cared for, porcelain veneers can last up to 20 years.
Save Money on your Porcelain Veneers in Sydney with No Gaps Dental
Porcelain veneers provide a natural-looking solution to various dental issues, from discoloured teeth to minor chips or cracks. While they can be expensive and require maintenance, their durability and stain resistance make them a popular choice.
At No Gaps Dental, our 15 clinics scattered across Sydney are conveniently located near transport links and offer lower prices without compromising a high-quality standard. We use the latest dental technology and top brands to provide nothing less than the best dental treatments for our clients.
If you’re considering veneers, reach out to our team at No Gaps Dental for an appointment or directly book online at the clinic of your choice. At No Gaps Dental, we believe everyone should have the opportunity to feel good about their smile!